The Coronavirus Pandemic has changed our economy forever. There has never been a time like this in our country’s history. Just in the last month, the United States has seen a huge spike in unemployment. Millions of restaurant and hotel workers have had their hours cut, or worse, have been let go. And unfortunately, we believe it will get worse before it gets better.
However, senior communities are at full capacity with no slow down predicted any time soon. They need help. And lots of it.
The Pineapple Academy has created the “Introduction to Senior Living Food & Service” series to help hotel and restaurant workers transition to the world of senior living. This series is comprised of short educational videos, so you can learn at your own pace. Our 3-Hour Certificate program is designed to teach cooks, servers, supervisors, managers and utility associates the basics of healthcare food and service.
The full course is comprised of 5 segments with 47 short video lessons delivering approximately 3-hours of educational video content. Click on the boxes below to view segment details.
Sanitation – 10 Video Lessons
Total Time of Section: 28:02 minutes
- Proper Handwashing: 1:51
- Cross Contamination: 2:17
- Gloving Selection: 2:49
- Gloving Guidelines: 3:53
- Gloving Cross Contamination: 1:56
- Dress Code and Good Hygiene Practices: 0:49
- Hair Restraint, Jewelry and Nail Polish: 4:25
- Infection Prevention and Best Practice: 3:42
- Understanding Foodborne Illness: 4:35
- Keeping Food Safe: 2:50
Staying Safe in Healthcare Food & Service – 8 Video Lessons
Total Time of Section: 28:10 minutes
- Allergens: 4:01
- Food Thermometers: 3:01
- Types of Disasters: 2:29
- Roles in an Emergency: 1:37
- Fire and Emergency Training: 3:54
- Fire Safety in a Commercial Kitchen: 4:56
- Handling Hot Surfaces and Objects: 4:22
- Spills, Trips and Hazards: 3:50
Taking Care of Residents – 10 Video Lessons
Total Time of Section: 31:12 minutes
- Overview of Resident Rights: 3:27
- Resident Rights, Part 2: 3:14
- Resident Care and Working with Other Departments: 1:30
- Feeding Assistance: 1:27
- Infection Control Policy: 3:15
- Outside Food Policy: 4:14
- Menus and Therapeutic Diets: 4:42
- Quality Control and Substitutions: 3:15
- Portion Control and Seconds: 4:06
- Understanding Fluid Restrictions: 2:02
Being in Service – 7 Video Lessons
Total Time of Section: 26:33 minutes
- Being in Service: 4:33
- Being in Service, Part 2: 4:43
- Etiquette and Greeting Others: 3:37
- The Pineapple Handshake: 1:58
- Body Language and Active Listening: 4:44
- Being Part of a Team, Part 1: 4:28
- Being Part of a Team, Part 2: 2:30
Kitchen Basics – 12 Video Lessons
Total Time of Section: 42:38 minutes
- Dry Store Rooms, Dating and Labeling: 4:06
- First In, First Out: 1:48
- Chemical Storage: 2:32
- Washing Produce: 3:28
- Setting Up a Workstation: 3:00
- Parts of a Knife: 1:23
- Types of Knives: 4:54
- How to Use and Care for a Knife: 2:47
- How to Steel and Sharpen a Knife: 4:53
- Do's and Don'ts in the Kitchen: 4:42
- Do's and Don'ts in the Kitchen part 2: 4:33
- Do's and Don'ts in the Kitchen part 3: 4:32
This series will be made available to individuals interested in transitioning to senior living. For the months of April, May, and June, anyone that signs up for the course will be able to do so at NO CHARGE. Simply follow this link and sign up today to get started in a new career in Senior Living Food & Service.
Additional FREE Courses
FREE Food Handler Certifications until September 1st, 2020.
Our Food Safety Training Partner, Always Food Safe, is offering their ANSI Accredited Food Handler Certification to ALL Pineapple customers free of charge.
Always Food Safe is proud to offer an Online, Video-Based, ANSI Accredited Food Handler Certificate across the USA. They are the only provider in the industry to offer this type of training, and we believe that this type of learning style improves knowledge retention, resulting in higher test scores and being more proficient at your job within the foodservice industry.